Saturday, May 11, 2024

Brewery st Ambrose summer patio

 

Maybe it would have been nice to stop and have a pint of cream ale on tap here, but I was working after all. That didn't stop the cyclists going by, even the ones wearing spandex they were going in for a pint. I could hear people roaring drunk with laughter and everyone seemed to be having a good time. In the background you see the old factory with the famous pink house on top. The pink house is a part of the factory, some creative vigilante artists scaled up the building and painted it pink with green roofs. There are even faux flower planters under the windows. I've painted the pink house many times from various angles, I suppose one day the whole thing will be taken down and replaced with a condo. I liked this scene because it says a lot about the Lachine Canal's past and present. It used to be a heavy industrial area before the modern ports were built, and over the past twenty odd years its gentrified and become a recreation park. There is another pub down by Verdun, it looks quite popular too and offers some views of the bike path and canal. 

To paint this, I started by outlining the scene with a pale grey (no pencil just watercolour). I composed the scene by compressing the background elements, in real life they were much further apart. I also decided to cut off the foreground to give maximum focus on the sky and pink house soaring above the red umbrellas of the summer patio. The sky was done wet in wet, a dilute yellow followed by blue and blue-green around the clouds, finished with a purplish grey for the cloud shadows. The pink of the pink house is a paint from Schmincke I got from Avenue des arts in Westmount, it called purple magenta which has pigment code PR122. Other companies have this paint but the names vary. I always look to the pigment code to know what I am getting since the names of paints are kind of random.

Brewery st Ambrose summer patio, watercolour 8 x 10" 80lb cold press, May 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment