Thursday, May 30, 2024

Cloud Over Trenholme Park


Every year I do a painting that becomes one of my personal favorites and its for different reasons. With the sun going down I was impressed by the intensity of this cloud and how the light was creating auras around the trees with their new leaves. The first brush strokes were heavy yellow ochre on the top left of the cloud, so thick it looked like mustard on the paper, to this I added a putrid purple mix like grape juice to the bottom right of the cloud. Then with one magical brush full of water across the middle it blended into a lively, soft cloud like texture infused with light. Not wanting to upset the wash I circled it with sky colours leaving a white outline as you see with clouds backlit by sun. Going with the interpretive theme, the trees, parks and condos were painted in a similar, almost child-like fashion. What makes me keen on this painting is that I could look at it years from now and the entirety of the moment will come flooding back. And I hope any other viewers can also get that sense of wonder of looking up at a cloud with a touch of awe and appreciation of the outdoors.

Cloud Over Trenholme Park, watercolour 5 x 7" 80lb, May 2024

 

yellow ochre = PY43 from DaVinci

putrid purple mix = quinacridone magenta PV55 by Schmincke + PB60 by Daniel Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment