Saturday, August 3, 2024

Views around the McAuslan Brewery

The pink house is part of an old grain/malt factory that some artists painted pink and green. Embracing the goopy paint consistency, I applied thick layers of blue, rust, pink and greens. The idea was to just let the paint do its thing. Since I am back to the Arches cold press, nearly done with the Strathmore, I can pull off the watery effects better. 

Pink house dramatic, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August  2024

 

Just across the street from the McAuslan brewery there is a functional apple orchard, surrounded in a tall fence. I've always wanted to paint an apple orchard and this was my chance, right here in Montreal. The painting is on the back of the McAuslan painting I did a few months ago, its the Strathmore paper. The Strathmore paper was very light and held the layers okay, but I am glad to be done with it. The best part about the Strathmore paper was how thin it was, it takes up a lot less space than the conventional Arches paper which is about twice as thick.

Apple orchard st Henri, watercolour 8 x 10" cold press, August  2024

 

I would have preferred to ride around to the front and paint the facade, but the heat and humidity was getting to be quite stifling so I just made a quick painting of the back of the brewery. You see a truck trailer, and some of the big maltage silos with a tall loading device. Behind the black wall of the building, would be the giant copper fermenting vats. Tucked away on the left is a small depiction of one of the red awnings, there were a lot of people there drinking beer and I could hear them and some music from all the way back here!

Back of McAuslan brewery, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August  2024

No comments:

Post a Comment