Saturday, September 14, 2024

A few more canal scenes along the way

Finally I saw some other watercolour painters along the Lachine canal, a group of elderly painters in camping chairs sitting in the shade of a tree next to the bike path. I know the spot because I painted exactly there last year, looking at this funny structure next to the bridge. As they daubed away, I stopped my bike a little further ahead, busted out the paints, paper and painted this scene once again. I had to do a good job because they were probably watching. I should have talked to them but what would I say? So I packed up and continued on the journey. 

Structure near bridge, watercolour 6 x 7.5" cold press, September 2024

 

Hey, don't read all my blogs at once, save some for later! Just kidding. This scene is looking east towards the downtown with the chimney, the Atwater clock tower and the canal with bike path. There were a few too many elements for the small paper, even at 6 x 7.5", but its an easy enough location to return to, that bridge connects to st Henri across the canal.

Chimney Atwater canal, watercolour 6 x 7.5" cold press, September 2024 

Not near the canal at all, this scene is looking up a road into old Montreal. By omitting the cars and people it had a desolate, even depressing feel to it. But the glow on the bricks adds little warmth at least.

View into Old Montreal, watercolour 6 x 7.5" cold press, September 2024

 

No comments:

Post a Comment