Monday, August 24, 2026

Verdun and Lachine canal night scenes

Here are the last of the weekend paintings, including a neat scene of a freight train going over a low bridge on the Lachine canal. In the background, you see the city skyline with Atwater Market clock tower in the middle-ground and Villa Maria building with its famous sky-light in the background. The train flew by, so I memorized the shape and colour of a few cars, settling on perylene maroon (PR179) for their colour. 

Train city lights canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

Yes this dépanneur is called Johnny Dep, clever eh? I renamed it Dep PJD in the painting. A 3/4 moon hung low in the sky against a fairly clear sky. As usual I used indo blue (PB60) and pyrol orange (PO73) for the sky. Painting on the backs of old paintings is tricky due to paper consistency, I am looking forward to getting back to new paper. 

Johnny Dep, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

Here I am standing near the canal, the same spot as for the first painting, and the same spot that I did the famous Night Goose painting. In the background, you see part of the Verdun electrical station, and beside it, one of the towers from the aqueduct water plant. They illuminate the tower with a blue-violet flood light. which I captured with phthalo blue (PB15). 

Aqueduct tower electrical, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, August 2026

 

No comments:

Post a Comment