Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Autumn arrives, sunset on canal

With Autumn upon us, I made it down to the Lachine canal after work and rode out to where the modern st Ambroise brewery and beer gardens can be found. I smelled a pungent aroma of barley and malt cooking over at the brewery. In the painting, you see the old maltage building reflecting in canal water, with an interesting curve and bike path. 

Old maltage glow on canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

Same location, looking up and framing it on a vertical format, you see the structure and path. I painted the curve differently here to suit the composition. Of course I put my initials instead of SLUK, and also put part of SAKE on top, its one of the last remaining works by that writer who retired a decade ago. 

Old maltage graffiti sundown, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

Looking down below the foot bridge at the canal lock, I did a painting featuring flowing water and black railings. A setting sun created orange glows and reflections. With my new brush I was able to tackle the tricky fence detailing which requires you to paint around the shape. In oil or acrylic this effect would be a lot easier. 

Flowing water sundown railings, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

This contrast between orange and green caught my eye. In the background you see part of the old maltage structure, illuminated with amber light from the sunset off to the left. In the foreground, there are numerous green umbrellas of the st Ambroise beer gardens, with people drinking yellow-orange pints of beer. Music played, and the air smelled of roasting beer malt. I did one last painting but will post separately, its pretty outrageous. 

Sunset over beer gardens, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment