Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Peel basin, tents overpass towers commuter train

Nearby the highway overpass at Peel basin, this group of tents were set up and people living in them. I captured that in the painting along with traffic, and part of a new condo in the background. That red thing is an umbrella not a pylon, I wasn't wearing my glasses for painting today!

Tents overpass traffic, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

In the background are a few of the condo towers built recently, like the last ten years or so, with the elevated train (el) and canal in the foreground. The central wash blurred out, it was difficult conditions to paint in with cool dark and humid air. 

Towers el canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

The commuter trains were transporting people out of the city, so I composed this scene to give an impression of the train being lonely. Like, heading off into the sky almost. To do so, I moved the bridge supports and omitted one, and put the train off to the left as far as possible. On the right, you have a condo, with solid terrain across the bottom. Intentional back-wash, using a yellow wash, created the eerie glow in the sky. It was unpredictable painting today. There are more of Old Montreal I will post soon. 

Headin home, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026 

No comments:

Post a Comment