Monday, September 28, 2026

Overcast autumn canal near bridge

The leaves are starting to go red orange and yellow, with some falling onto the ground and water. It was overcast today, soft violet-grey and cyan tinted the canal. I used plenty of quin violet (PV55) a modern pigment that most brands carry. For the tree it was an interesting mix of perylene maroon (PR179) and pyrol orange (PO73). 

Autumn overcast canal, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

Working up a scene like this in light mist-rain condition is tough, the paint constantly soaks into the paper making dark areas grey out. With a lot of experience in these conditions, I adapt my technique to avoid excessive over-washes, and apply darks first when the paper is still relatively dry. 

Bridge canal graffiti, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

Here the rain-mist picked up a bit, but I managed to get through it and produce this painting. An orange buoy in the canal contrasted against the red-orange vines in the background. 

Orange buoy vines Autumn, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026 

No comments:

Post a Comment