Monday, September 14, 2026

Looking back: London Ontario, bus stop, rainbow wall, cows

I've probably posted some of these before, but still worth a mention as I look back on the London Ontario collection of paintings. This one shows a bus stop and yellow mail box, composed with a tree on the left. It was a clever composition and took a delicate touch to get the foggy glass effect, and yellow shadowing correct. 

Yellow mail box bus stop, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press,

At the time I was not aware of the symbolism of a rainbow flag, which likely refers to LGBT issues in this context. I just liked the colours, and everything else in London Ontario was grey and beige, especially in the Spring time when this was painted. These were all done around the year 2000 give or take. 

Rainbow wall, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press,

I rode my bike around town to make these paintings on location, although I used a backpack to carry the equipment including a small camping chair upon which I would sit unless there was a bench handy. So a lot of the paintings I did had a bench or ledge to sit on. It was not until the year 2020, when I did the Montreal Metro series that I began painting standing up and using my bike pack to hold the gear. 

Cows sitting in field, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment