While living in London Ontario I made quite a few paintings mostly on weekends and after classes or laboratory. I read an article (there were newspapers back then) about the Labatt's brewery receiving new beer brewing vats, they had to move phone wires and obstacles on the road to get them delivered by truck after receiving them from overseas. Naturally I had to go down and get a painting of them before they were installed.
Beer vats, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press
Here you see a rear view of the brewery with some exterior vats and the river in the foreground. I wonder if this old brewery is still operational, this painting was done over 20 years ago. In Montreal, the Molson's brewery moved to a modern location.
Rear view Labatt's brewery, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press
Just at sunset I painted the crab apple trees, with their maroon leaves it made for a neat colour scheme. It was probably done just outside of Bayfield hall where I was staying at the time.
Sunset red trees, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press
And a typical 'Darlington scene', of a disused couch under a bridge. I used to walk around with my camping chair and sit down wherever something interesting came up. I would also ride my bike with all the paint gear and the chair in my backpack.
Couch under bridge, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press
This was one of the last paintings I ever did in London Ontario prior to leaving for Montreal, where I remain for the last 20 plus years. In the painting, you see a vista view of the campus in winter. The sky is particularly nice, with a soft yellow glow and range of blue and purples done wet-in-wet.
Winter campus vista, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press





No comments:
Post a Comment