Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Views at Coffee park, Westehaven neighborhood

With rain on tap I stayed close to home after work and made a few paintings, including this one of an oncoming commuter train. I had to paint fast! Just kidding, I was sitting in coffee park at a picnic table thinking about how dull the scene was, then decided to re-imagine the perspective to make it more exciting. 

Oncoming commuter train, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2026

 

At the end of Elmhurst, corner of st Jacques, there is a small Dépanneur called Saga, with an oversized sign. I composed the scene without any road or sidewalk, so as to focus on the sign and perspective of the condo building. 

Dépanneur Saga sign, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2026

 

Across the street at the Parmalat factory there are shiny milk trucks parked, getting loaded up. This factory has an alarm siren system, if we hear it blare in NDG we are supposed to close the windows. Who knew milk was so dangerous?

Milk truck rear, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2026

 

The old Motel st Jacques is all boarded up and covered in graffiti. Construction of a nearby condo removed the street access and front reception, so just the boarded up rooms remain. It advertised having a TV, which gives you an indication of how old this motel was. 

Motel PJD26, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2026

Across the street still on st Jacques, this condo had burned out at the rear, causing a tree to get scorched, and the fire escape to twist into a gnarled metal sculpture. As I stood painting, the whole thing smelled musty, it must have terrible water damage inside too. 

Burned condo rear, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, July 2026 

No comments:

Post a Comment