Sunday, September 13, 2020

Snow Scenes, Caledon

 


After seeing my recent abstract work on the blog, this is a dramatic difference! I used to go around Caledon and take pictures with my  hand me down film camera. After getting the film developed (remeber that?) I would sit down and make paintings in my bedroom. In fact, this was the first realistic looking landscape painting that I ever made. There were a few imagination paintings, but this one was the first to use a photo to recreate reality. I remember being so thrilled by this one that I did a second, almost identical copy of it. It is one of the many roads up in the forest near Bolton camp area. 

Bolton Camp, Snowy Trail, 9 x12" watercolour paper, watercolour, 1993, (No. 0078)


Here is a another one done using the same methods... walk in snow, take photo, develop photo, pick up developed photo, paint picture. Looking back on these, it was impressive that I could capture the correct snow shadow colour, tonal yellows and greens, and a huge range of grey and brown, all without actually knowing much about painting. By then I had about 4 years of practice under my belt, mostly with flower paintings.

Bolton Camp Snowy Road Curve, 9 x12" watercolour paper, watercolour, 1993 (No. 0086)

 

This painting was done from a photo I took on a family ski trip, my sister was actually in the photo, but I edited her out to focus on the trail and shadows. It was not a slight, just that my skill level wasn't at the point where I could merge a figure painting with a complex forest scene. My skill level is still not quite there and its 2020! Maybe I can find the old photo and try it again. 

Ski Trail in Woods, 9 x12" watercolour paper, watercolour, 1993 (No. 0077)


No comments:

Post a Comment