Saturday, September 5, 2020

Université-de-Montréal Station, Blue Line Metro, Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce

Creating art on location is always challenging. The shifting light makes it is a race against time, and being outside painting in public adds a certain pressure all the more so during a pandemic. I always find places to sit away from people and wear my mask when needed. It has limited my subjects for instance the mile end is mostly impossible to paint since it has nothing but shops and sidewalks, same with Ville St. Pierre. Verdun was better, there are lots of wide open parks. This location is bordering on the edge of Mont Royale, part of the Université-de-Montréal campus. The metro station consists of stone walls, big windows, acute angles and overhangs. I decided to include people in the metro paintings from now on just to make it more realistic. In the green line series I omitted the people for convenience, which gace the paintings a feeling of isolation. In this painting there was a dog too. Getting people in the painting adds a lot of problems to solve, the people walk fast, their proportions have to be right, the drawing accurate, and the colour and shading.need to match the scene. If I keep practicing I will get it right! This scene is near the location where I made a painting of Jean-Brilliant street

Update: I returned in December of 2021 to complete two more paintings of one of the entrances at the foot of the mountain. 

6 x 7.5" cold press, watercolour, September 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment