Monday, September 7, 2026

Montreal airport other scenes

After painting scenes that you might expect of planes taking off at the airport, I made a few other paintings in the area. This one shows the frontal view from the bike path on Cardinal Av., you see the main airport terminal in the background with the construction disaster out in front of it, where the parking garages used to be. It was a tricky painting with a lot of detail, I smelled jet fuel exhaust while painting. 

Airport construction, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

The one neat thing about airports is the amount of nature that gets preserved in and around, like the vast fields of grass that I enjoy painting. Here, a massive clump of reeds was growing in a ditch. You see some planes on the tarmac in the background. 

Reeds near airport, watercolour 8 x 10" cold press, September 2026

Of course I couldn't resist painting this lime-coloured dumpster, with a bit of airport shown on the upper left. That's the radar dome thing in the background. I liked the yellow sign on the chartreuse dumpster, and surrounded it with different shades of green for contrast. 

Airport dumpster, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026

Finally from the airport, a scene of the main YUL Montreal Airport sign next to the highway, although I changed it obviously to my inititals. It looks like a monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

PJD monolith, watercolour 5 x 7" cold press, September 2026 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment